Saturday, October 24, 2009

MCM: Getting to the Starting Line

After overcoming my bout with groin pain in April, I returned to my marathon training effort, goal: Marine Corps Marathon, Oct. 25, 2009. My performance improved with regularity, and I lost the 20 pounds I gained from my dearth of running for the previous four months.

August my training was off schedule, and I struggled to make up for it in September. I worked my way up to two back-to-back 18 mile runs with good, chunky hill workout (Mormon Temple and Stoneybrook Dr) included over a weekend, when I noticed a pain in my left knee. This reminded me of a similar problem I encountered a year earlier, almost to the day and the same location, preparing for the NYC Marathon, when my patella (aka kneecap) was briefly dislocated.

I took a few days off and picked back up on my training. I still felt pain in my left knee, but the pain subsided during the run and has steadily diminished. There was some question in my mind about how prudent it would be to run the MCM with knee pain, but now there are no doubts. Aside from the training interruption, I'll be in good shape for the run.

The question now is what will be my target pace? I have a 30 minute range of goals to target:

1. 3:00 - The tantalizing 3 hour mark. This requires averaging a 6:53 pace. Aggressive but somehow in my delusional mind within the realm of possibility.
2. 3:03 - Break the 7:00 pace.
3. 3:06 - Previous PR achieved at the 2008 DC Marathon.
4. 3:10 - Time qualifier for the NYC Marathon
5. 3:19 - Previous MCM PR, which started a continuous streak of BQ times.
6: 3:30 - Boston Qualifying time for my age group (45-49).

My mindset now, the night before the run, is that I'll aim between #1 and #2. Am I getting greedy, as I normally do, and have to lower my sights? We'll have to see how things play out on race day.

-Em

No comments: