Friday, March 23, 2007

Long Run: National Marathon

Training's been going well. I'm at about 60-80 miles per week. With 2 back-to-back 19 milers and some respectable hills in my workout, I made a spur of the moment decision to run the National Marathon on March 24 (tomorrow).

The idea is that I need at least a couple of good, long runs in my workout leading up to Boston, why not a marathon? On closer inspection, the National Marathon course looks a bit more challenging than Boston with a very challenging 200 foot climb between mile 19 and 20 (the Calvert Climb out of Rock Creek park) that looks more formidable than Heartbreak Hill, at least on an elevation profile. I had naive hopes of attaining a PR but this looks like a pretty challenging course. I'll just aim for a respectable run.

I tried explaining the "need a long run, why not a marathon" to the TV viewing public .

(I'm 2:15 in the clip, the Kensington marathoner)
http://video.nbc4.com/player/?id=84839

Oh, well. It's pretty plain I need to work on my television presence.

We'll see how the long run goes.

-Em

No comments: